Have you ever been in the checkout lane and your cashier refuses to take one or more of your coupons and you are convinced they should? I've been there and I'm sure many of you have. How do you handle it?
Here are some of my thoughts on the subject...
- Remember, the cashier is simply trying to do their job. They are not out to get you. :) Think about how much there is to know about couponing/store coupon policies...it can get confusing.
- Relax, and first make sure you are right.
- Believe it or not, it is possible that the mistake is yours. :)
A couple times come to mind when I tried using a Pop Secret Popcorn coupon that the cashier wouldn't take. I was sure I was right, but when I looked at the product I actually bought, I realized I grabbed a brand of popcorn that looked so similar, but wasn't the right brand. For some reason, every time I went to use that coupon, I did the same thing. :)
- With all the coupons we go through, it is easy to overlook some small print that states, "one per transaction", "one per customer" or something like that.
- If you are wrong, be sure to apologize and decide whether you still want the product or not and move on.
If the value of the coupon I wanted to use wasn't real high (i.e. 25 cents), I usually just eat the cost so the cashier doesn't have to find the product and void it.
- If you are right, explain yourself politely.
- If the coupon states "one coupon per purchase", and you are using 2 of those coupons on 2 products, simply say, "Yes, I am purchasing 2 of them." Some cashiers dont' understand the difference between a "purchase" and a "transaction".
- Have your copy of the store coupon policy with you. This can be very helpful if a cashier just isn't aware of a specific store policy.
- If your explanation to the cashier didn't help, ask yourself if it's worth it to ask for a manager.
If the coupon is for a low amount such as $.35, is it really worth it? Now, if the coupon is for $5 off, that might be a different story.
- Ask for a Manager
- The manager should be more knowledgeable on the store's policies so they should be able to help.
- Be sure to kindly explain the situation to them and be respectful of the cashier.
- Call Customer Service
- If you are right according to the store's policies and the store still didn't allow it, you can always call their customer service line and they may be able to help straighten it out.
- Sometimes nothing helps....and it's okay.
- Sometimes no matter what you do, you still dont' get to use the coupon you wanted to use and that's okay. Life does go on, believe it or not. :)
- If this happens frequently with a specific store, you may want to consider changing the store you shop at.
- If there is a specific cashier that seems to always give you trouble, try to avoid that register. Don't set yourself up for frustration.
- Follow the rules and be knowledgeable
- Be sure to double check your expiration dates before you check out.
- Read the fine print on the coupons you plan to use.
- Know your store's coupon policy well so you are sure you're following their rules.
- Be organized
- Make sure that when you are shopping, you only grab coupons for products you are using.
- It is not uncommon for me to bring a stack of coupons to the store and end up not using some of them. Be sure you don't accidentally put a coupon in the stack that you are not purchasing.
- Always be friendly
- If you are always friendly and get to know your cashiers, they will become more familiar and comfortable with you.
- When they know that you aren't trying to break the rules, they will trust you more.
No comments:
Post a Comment